*Watch our Boulders Beach video at the bottom of this post!
Boulders Beach was our first stop on our day drive down the peninsula of South Africa en route to Cape of Good Hope. We packed up our suitcases and left our hotel in Stellenbosch in the morning because we were told you’d want to plan an entire day for this drive so you have time to explore each stop on the way. We had rented a tiny automatic car and GPS at the airport to get ourselves around outside of Cape Town. Best decision!
Here’s the route we drove, starting from Stellenbosch to Boulders Beach, Cape of Good Hope, then arriving in Cape Town just before sunset:
A few things we learned and helpful tips:
– Leave early! It really does take you the entire day to truly explore the drive. If we’d had more time we would’ve walked around Simon’s Town a bit more, which is the an adorable beach town just before you arrive at Boulders Beach.
– Have cash/change for tolls and entry fees.
– GPS is made the drive much less stressful. We did ask our hotel for directs for our drive, as we wanted their suggestions for places to stop at, dining spots, and the safest route versus the GPS gives you the fastest.
– Wear sandals at Boulder’s Beach if it’s nice our or even bring your swimsuit to take a dip!
The gorgeous beach above is where you’ll find all the HUGE boulders and silky soft sandy beach to dip your toes into. Then, you walk along a board walk spotting penguins on the way tucked away into the bushes to the lookout point to watch the penguins waddle around the shore. Boulder’s Beach is a must see if you’re in the Cape Town area! The penguins are adorable, I could’ve watched them all day! Our next stop was Cape of Good Hope…
– We travel to South Africa in October 2013 –
See our full trip!
(Handwriting in first image from Cape Town Love app)