DIY Bar Cart

Say hello to our new bar cart! Isn’t she great?! I found this old metal cart via craigslist. Originally I thought I was going to paint is a beautiful metallic gold color, but it just didn’t look right in my head with all our bar goodies. Then I thought, green? No, not next to our green couch. A soft butter yellow? Neah. For a moment I thought pink! but knew Joel wouldn’t be as thrilled. Then I hit me! A deep navy color would look lovely next to all our gold accessories and would fit in well with the rest of our living room. Three cans of navy spray paint later, we had a beautiful bar cart to style.

See a little video of my new bar cart right over here!

I found these glass containers at a thrift shop, which house whiskey, vodka and gin. And of course tequila was a necessary purchase at the Cancun airport before our return flight home. I think I might spray paint that RESERVED sign gold, what do you think? Or maybe pink?

I gave Joel this set of pin-up girl glasses for our 5th anniversary  They look totally innocent until you turn them around, and BAM they’re naked. I love things with unexpected humor and luckily so does Joel.

11 Comments

1. Nicole February 2, 2013

What a great find! i’ve recently been trying to remember to check Craigslist more and i am going to be furnishing my almost finished basement soon but so far no luck. This inspires me to keep searching!

2. Rachel February 7, 2013

This looks amazing! Love it!

3. Cherie February 25, 2013

I just found the EXACT cart (today) that the neighbor across the alley threw out, it is white with chrome frame. (also some old metal roller skates that you need a key to adjust. ) I can’t wait to update the cart. Thanks for the idea!!

4. Aileen July 31, 2013

Love the cart! Did you change the wheels to the clear ones or did they come like that? I found one with black wheels and want the clear ones.

• Kitty August 19, 2013

Found it like that! A lucky & cheap craigslist find!

5. […] been seeing a lot of DIY tutorials for bar carts, which seem to be the latest fad in home decor. I get it–it speaks to a Mad Men aesthetic and it certainly has an element of […]

6. Clarissa April 23, 2014

Hi! Just found your blog by google searching bar carts LOL :) I must ask: What is a good price for one of these carts? I found one similar on CL and they’re asking $75… is that too high?? Please let me know!! I really need some guidance as I have NO idea what I should pay and I’ve been wanting a bar cart for a while. Thanks so much, appreciate your help!

Thanks!

• Kitty April 27, 2014

Hi! I got this one for about $30 if I remember right. Hope that helps!

7. […] Photo courtesy of Kitty Cotten […]

8. Jamie April 12, 2015

Hi, I love how you decorated your bar cart! Where did you find the tumblers with the gold design? I’ve seen them all over the internet but can’t find them, or anything similar, online.

Thanks!

• Kitty April 20, 2015

Thanks Jamie! They are from Target awhile back.